ICC T20 World Cup Winners: ICC T20 World Cup is one of the biggest cricket tournaments across the globe, with huge popularity among cricket lovers it is one of the sports for which people wait eagerly. The event is generally been held every 2 years among 16 teams. But due to the pandemic 2020 edition which was going to be hosted by India, was postponed to 2021 later with the host changed to UAE.
The match was relocated to UAE and Oman due to COVID-19 Outbreak in India. The tournament’s inaugural edition was in 2007 which was won by the Indian cricket team, defeating their rivals Team Pakistan by 5 runs whereas the latest edition (2021) was won by the Australian Team.
Let’s know more about the teams who have won so far,
List of ICC T20 World Cup Winners
- 2007: India (winner), Pakistan (Runner-up)
- 2009: Pakistan (winner), Sri Lanka (Runner-up)
- 2010: England (winner), Australia (Runner-up)
- 2012: West Indies (winner), Srilanka (Runner-up)
- 2014: Sri Lanka (winner), India (Runner-up)
- 2016: West Indies (winner), England (Runner-up)
- 2021: Australia (winner), New Zealand (Runner-up)
ICC T20 World Cup 2022
2022 is the 8th edition of the ICC T20 Cricket world cup. Team Australia, who are also the last year’s champion has been decided to host the tournament by International Cricket Council. Sri Lanka and Namibia are the first two teams to face off against each other in the tournament.
These 7 cities of Australia i.e. Melbourne, Sydney, Geelong, Hobart, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth will most likely host the total 45 matches of the tournament. ICC T20 Cricket World cup is scheduled to start from 16th October 2022 and conclude on 13th November 2022.
It is also determined that in 2024, 20 teams can participate in the tournament instead of 16 teams. Also, West Indies is the only team to win the tournament twice in 2012 and 2016.
Here are few of the matches, which will played in the upcoming edition of the World Cup.
- On 16th October, Sunday: Sri Lanka vs Nambia and UAE vs Netherlands
- On 17th October, Monday: West Indies vs Scotland and Zimbabwe vs Ireland
- On 18th October, Tuesday: Namibia vs Netherlands and Sri Lanka vs UAE
- On 19th October, Wednesday: Scotland vs Ireland and West Indies vs Zimbabwe
- On 20th October, Thursday: Sri Lanka vs Netherlands and Namibia vs UAE
- On 21st October, Friday: West Indies vs Ireland and Scotland vs Zimbabwe
- On 22nd October, Saturday: Australia vs New Zealand and England vs Afghanistan
Upcoming matches of the tournament are yet to be determined.